I enjoy building technology to improve business processes as a software engineer. I build on industry best practices, but I use my detail-oriented and quick-learning nature to better understand how they can be adapted and improved for local needs. I bring my experiences as a developer, operator, and user to provide a more holistic perspective on solution discussions. I feel most effective when I can apply myself to evolving those solutions into something that will help others be more effective.
I look for technical opportunities that require me to learn and improve myself through complex problems and new perspectives. I want to work with teams that respect open source and appreciate open collaboration as a method to build effective products.
- Work on discovery-focused initiatives to identify investment opportunities in Kubernetes Cluster API and tooling to help internal development teams.
- Support teams implementing several, personally-created projects into their operations and workflows.
- Team Lead ("anchor") on BOSH, working closely with Product Managers to guide technical features and facilitate collaboration with internal and external teams.
- Engineer on BOSH, a large Ruby- and Go-based, deployment lifecycle product, and using a variety of infrastructures (namely Amazon Web Services, Google, and vSphere).
- Help bootstrap and train a new Cloud Operations team as part of a 3-month relocation to Dublin, Ireland.
- Developed and currently maintain in-house e-commerce frontend and backoffice tools using primarily PHP and MySQL
- Migrated the backend website and services to the open-source symfony2 framework
- Integrated business tools with APIs including PayPal and Endicia
- Advising on strategic goals for the business and assisting in implementation
- Migrating from traditional servers to a multi-region cloud environment on AWS
- Migrating from Puppet-managed servers to a BOSH-managed environment
- Currently maintain production server environments and services
- Implemented and managed scalable logstash + elasticsearch + kibana stacks on AWS
- Researched and tested elasticsearch scaling for project needs
- Creating and managing BOSH releases for logsearch
- Creating logsearch-shipper, designed for log forwarding and monitoring of any other BOSH deployments
- Designing and supporting VPC environments on AWS
- Defining and implementing logging and monitoring practices for deployments
- Worked remotely
- Guided the adoption of and migration to the open-source symfony2 framework from an internal framework for main customer SaaS web application
- Implemented development tools and standards including opengrok, composer, and PSR conventions
- Advised and taught on software design, industry practices, and development workflows
- Created automated systems for detecting data quality issues in client data feeds, significantly reducing manual work
- Created custom issue tracking system to support existing Oracle-based applications, email ticketing, workflows, and time estimations
- Worked locally for 18 months and remotely for 22 months
Available — please get in touch with me for contact information of my colleagues and managers.